Infectious Disease Clinical Pharmacist Specialist:
Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center (NLEMMC) in Bangor, Maine, is currently seeking an Infectious Disease Clinical Pharmacist Specialist to our Infectious Disease and Antimicrobial Stewardship Team. The Antimicrobial Stewardship Team provides service for inpatient and outpatient facilities at NLEMMC and collaborates closely with the 8 other hospitals in the health system. The position is part of a team of 2 pharmacists and 1 physician with dedicated antimicrobial stewardship time. Appointees to the position will have the opportunity to develop and implement new or innovative practice models and ASP initiatives. We are seeking highly motivated applicants with effective communication, problem solving, and organizational skills to join our growing program.
Position responsibilities include:
- Provides direct pharmaceutical care services by promoting the safe and effective use of antimicrobials
- Collaborates with clinical pharmacist specialists and generalists, physicians, nurses, and other health care staff, to carry out position responsibilities
- Supports the antimicrobial stewardship (ASP) program in collaboration with the physician and pharmacist co-directors. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conduct daily AMS activities including prospective patient review and feedback and alert review
- Develop, implement and review processes and measures for antimicrobial stewardship related patient outcomes
- Identify opportunities to optimize antimicrobial use and patient care
- Evaluate medication error reduction strategies related to antimicrobials
- Monitor, evaluate, and report antimicrobial utilization
- Participate in antimicrobial quality improvement projects in collaboration with pharmacy, infectious diseases, clinical microbiology, infection prevention, and quality
- Perform formulary evaluations for antimicrobials
- Assist in developing and maintaining infectious disease related clinical pathways, local guidelines, and antimicrobial use policy
- Serves as an active member of the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program Committee
Education-related activities include:
- Serves as a preceptor to PGY1 pharmacy residents and APPE students
- Provides in-services to pharmacists, providers, nurses, and other healthcare staff
- Present at local and national meetings
- Serves as a liaison between the Department of Pharmacy and Division of Infectious Diseases, Infection Prevention, and Clinical Microbiology
- Functions independently and collaboratively within a team setting.
State of Maine Pharmacist License.
B.S. Pharmacy or Pharm.D. required
PGY1 Pharmacy residency; PGY2 Infectious Disease residency or fellowship in Infectious Diseases, or equivalent experience required; hospital pharmacy experience in antimicrobial stewardship preferred.
About Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center
Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center (NLEMMC) is the acute care specialty 411 bed referral hospitals for northern, eastern, and central Maine, providing leading-edge programs in cancer, surgery, and cardiac care, among many others. NLEMMC also provides progressive patient-centered care in several ambulatory and diagnostic facilities and physician practice settings.
NLEMMC Pharmacy works collaboratively with other healthcare professionals to provide optimal pharmaceutical care for all patients served by the facility by promoting evidence-based, fail-safe medication use. NLEMMC Pharmacy staff is dedicated to educating future pharmacists through our affiliations. Our pharmacists are preceptors for Introductory and Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experience students and PGY1 residents.
Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center’s Pharmacy is staffed by a highly skilled team of pharmacists, technicians and support personnel that provide excellent service to our patients, providers and other professional staff. With more than 100 employees, our pharmacy team provides services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to our inpatient areas, emergency department, and family practice offices. Our practice model includes clinical pharmacist generalists and specialists.
Contact for position is Gavin Higgins/ email@example.com