Clinical Pharmacy Specialist – Antimicrobial Stewardship and Infectious Disease
The Antimicrobial Stewardship Clinical Specialist pharmacist will oversee the Antimicrobial Stewardship Program across the facilities located in North Dakota and Minnesota who are part of the Midwest Division of CommonSpirit Health. The position located in Bismarck, North Dakota will be primarily stationed at St Alexius Health Bismarck Medical Center but will have remote monitoring responsibilities for other facilities. Relationship building with remote facility hospital leadership, providers, and caregivers will be essential with occasional travel. It is anticipated that travel would be ~10% of time or less.
- The clinical specialist will provide pharmaceutical care services by promoting the safe and effective use of antimicrobial agents.
- Responsible for monitoring the appropriate use of targeted antimicrobials in inpatients.
- Works independently and in collaboration with the Division of Infectious Diseases, when needed, to design and implement patient-specific drug regimens that optimize appropriate antibiotic coverage in prophylaxis, empiric use, and documented infections.
- Responsible for recommending improved antimicrobial regimens in patients who require them through the use of written and oral communication.
- Provides drug information services to the physicians of the hospitals on the use of antimicrobials, serves as a liaison between the Department of Pharmacy Services and the Division of Infectious Diseases.
- Serves as clinical reference through the provision of educational in-services, drug utilization reviews, guideline development, and informal consults.
- Enforces institutional policies and procedures related to medication ordering, dispensing, storage and administration.
- Develops protocols together with Antimicrobial Stewardship subcommittee that promote the prudent use of antimicrobial agents, and will assist in formulary development by providing clinical expertise in the selection of antimicrobials.
- Assists with leading the division Antimicrobial Stewardship Program (ASP) and the division Antimicrobial Stewardship subcommittee, together with the Antimicrobial Stewardship physician, and the Division Director of Clinical Pharmacy Services.
- Responsible, together with Antimicrobial Stewardship physician and ASP, for improving and maintaining outcomes of the ASP at all CSH facilities across North Dakota and Minnesota. Desired outcomes include but are not limited to antimicrobial cost savings, reducing inappropriate antimicrobial days of therapy for hospitalized patients, reducing hospital acquired infections (including C. difficile), and other outcomes/goals of the ASP program.
Required: Pharm.D degree.
Required: North Dakota Pharmacist License with willingness to get licensed in other states (Minnesota)
Preferred: Antimicrobial stewardship or infectious disease experience, preferably with PGY2 in Infectious Disease or Infectious Disease Board Certification or equivalent experience.
Requisition ID: 2022-246943
Employment Status: Full-Time
Employee Status: Regular
Work Week: Days (M-F)
Work Location: Onsite with Remote Opportunities
David Schmidt, PharmD, BCPS, DPLA
Director, Clinical Pharmacy Services
More Information/Apply Here
Christopher J. Destache, Pharm. D., FCCP, BCIDP
Professor of Pharmacy Practice and Infectious Diseases
School of Pharmacy & Health Professions
Phone 402 280-4744Email email@example.com