Job ID: 19457
Job Title:Pharmacist Specialist - Infectious Diseases (PHARMACIST 5)
Contact Company: UCSF Medical Center
Contact Name: Erin Haney
Contact Type:Via Web Site
Contact URL: https://careers.ucsfmedicalcenter.org:8443/psp/hcmprd_cg/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=19457&PostingSeq=2
Paid Relocation: No
City: San Francisco
Postal Code: 94101
Industry Function: Health Care General
Job function:Allied Health
Job Type: Direct
Required Education: Minimum
Required Experience: Not Specified
At UCSF Health, our mission of innovative patient care, advanced technology and pioneering research is redefining what’s possible for the patients we serve – a promise we share with the professionals who make up our team.
Ranked by U.S. News & World Report as seventh in the country – UCSF Health is committed to providing the most rewarding work experience while delivering the best care available anywhere. In an environment that allows for continuous learning and opportunities for professional growth, UCSF Health offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
The Department of Pharmaceutical Services provides a full range of services for patients cared for by the Medical Center as well as its providers and payers.
These services include, but are not limited to, drug procurement, storage, and security; safe accurate and timely preparation and distribution of drugs; clinical pharmacy services for patients; development of drug use policies within the Medical Center; drug information services for clinicians and patients; and participation in technology assessment and quality assurance programs.
The Department collaborates with the UCSF Department of Clinical Pharmacy, an academic unit within the School of Pharmacy, which has primary responsibility for teaching professional courses in the Pharm.D. curriculum, research, and public service.
The Department of Clinical Pharmacy and Department of Pharmaceutical Services share its philosophy of pharmaceutical care.
The purpose of this position is to provide an expert level consultation to the pharmacy, medical and nursing staff in the area of antibiotic utilization.
The Pharmacy Specialist will perform the following functions:
- Collaborates with infectious diseases [ID] providers and other professionals to run an antimicrobial stewardship program and Infectious Diseases Management Program [IDMP]
Develops intervention strategies to optimize antibiotic utilization, including but not limited to antibiotic guidelines, clinical pathways, restricted use criteria, and policy development
- Provides collaborative pharmaceutical care with staff pharmacists to patients receiving anti-infective therapy
- Identifies opportunities for improvement regarding anti-infective use, including but not limited to performing medication use evaluations and conducting prospective audits
- Provides ongoing education to pharmacists, providers, and other disciplines throughout UCSF Medical Center
- Works closely with the Infection Control Department and participate in their meetings
- Performs formulary evaluation for anti-infectives
- Provides appropriate documentation of all activities
- Presents at local and national meetings and publishes in peer-reviewed journals
- Precepts residents and students in infectious diseases rotation. Serves as the PGY2 ID Residency program Director
- Serves on committees for both hospital and clinic as directed by the Director of Pharmacy
Specifically, it requires a close and effective working relationship with other departments in the medical center as well as with the Department of Clinical Pharmacy and the School of Pharmacy.
- Two years hospital pharmacy practice and clinical pharmacy practice experience in an Infectious Diseases
- Post graduate year 1 [PGY1] in Pharmacy Practice; or equivalent experience
- Post graduate year 2 [PGY2] in Infectious Diseases; or equivalent experience
- BS Pharmacy; or Doctor of Pharmacy Degree (Pharm D)
- Knowledge and expertise of pharmacotherapy clinical pharmacy practice in Infectious Diseases with experience in Antimicrobial Stewardship Program
- Knowledge of relevant Pharmacy Department, medical center, and UC policies and protocols including medicine storage, safety, and patient privacy and treatment; knowledge of all relevant pharmacy federal and state laws and regulations
- Ability to work carefully, methodically and accurately
- Program and project management skills to manage multiple priorities, and deliver responsive customer service to patients; demonstrates adaptability and flexibility, anticipates and effectively handles change
- Interpersonal skills to maintain relationships with healthcare professionals on patient care team, researchers, and pharmacy department and develop relationships with industry leaders. Interpersonal skills to address sensitive patient situations with a caring and sympathetic manner
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with patient treatment team; advanced verbal and written communication skills
- Board Certification in Pharmacotherapy and / or Board Certification in Specialty Practice
- Knowledge of relevant information systems
- Current Registered Pharmacist in the State of California
Living Pride Standards
Demonstrates service excellence by following the Everyday PRIDE Guide with the UCSF Medical Center standards and expectations for communication and behavior. These standards and expectations convey specific behavior associated with the Medical Center’s values: Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Diversity and Excellence, and provide guidance on how we communicate with patients, visitors, faculty, staff, and students, virtually everyone, every day and with every encounter. These standards include, but are not limited to: personal appearance, acknowledging and greeting all patients and families, introductions using AIDET, managing up, service recovery, managing delays and expectations, phone standards, electronic communication, team work, cultural sensitivity and competency.
- Uses effective communication skills with patients and staff; demonstrates proper telephone techniques and etiquette; acts as an escort to any patient or family member needing directions; shows sensitivity to differences of culture; demonstrates a positive and supportive manner in which patients / families/ colleagues perceive interactions as positive and supportive. Exhibits team work skills to positively acknowledge and recognize other colleagues, and uses personal experiences to model and teach Living PRIDE standards.
- Exhibits tact and professionalism in difficult situations according to PRIDE Values and Practices
- Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to privacy, confidentiality, and security policies and procedures related to Protected Health Information (PHI) or other sensitive and personal information.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and adheres to safety and infection control policies and procedures.
- Assumes accountability for improving quality metrics associated with department/unit and meeting organizational/departmental targets.
- Keeps working areas neat, orderly and clutter-free, including the hallways. Adheres to cleaning processes and puts things back where they belong. Removes and reports broken equipment and furniture.
- Picks up and disposes of any litter found throughout entire facility.
- Posts flyers and posters in designated areas only; does not post on walls, doors or windows.
- Knows where the Environment of Care Manual is kept in department; corrects or reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate departments.
- Protects the physical environment and equipment from damage and theft.
The flexibility to orient and work at all UCSF Medical Center locations is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Further information about the University of California, San Francisco, is available at diversity.ucsf.edu. UCSF seeks candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence, and the communities we serve.